eCos and RedBoot based products showcase
The eCos RTOS and RedBoot bootloader have been used in a wide variety of market segments and products. From high volume consumer appliances where the emphasis is on minimizing licensing costs and hardware resource requirements, to low volume semi-custom designs where simplicity and flexibility are the most important considerations, and everything inbetween.
In the fragmented embedded operating systems market eCos is one of the major players, with global market usage of around 5-6% according to multiple surveys including CMP's Embedded Study 2007, and EDC's Embedded Development Survey 2007.
If you have developed, or know of a new product that uses eCos or RedBoot, please email us and let us know.
The following is a small selection of eCos based products illustrating the wide variety of device types and markets from companies large and small that have embraced eCos.
Consumer Electronics and Multimedia
- Sony Playstation 3 games console. The Playstation 3 integrates a formidable set of multimedia technologies including Cell multiprocessor, RSX 3D graphics, Blu-Ray disc, hard drive, Ethernet, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and more. eCos is used to provide the Playstation's Wi-Fi support based on the Marvell 88W8580 WLAN chip.
- Samsung "M" and "F" series Smart TVs. These top-of-the-line 32-70 inch LCD TVs feature multi-media playback from USB cameras, mp3 players and flash drives.
- TrekStor Vibez digital audio player. MP3, WMA, Ogg, FLAC and JPEG formats supported. Colour display for photos and cover art.
- NXP STB200 and STB220 set top box reference designs. Nexperia PNX8316 and PNX8330 based STBs for cable, DVB-T, and satellite TV. The reference design uses eCosPro as its standard RTOS and ships with a copy of eCosCentric's eCosPro Starter Kit. The kit incorporates the eCosPro multimedia file system eCosPro-MMFS).
- Eye-Fi Eye-Fi wireless SD cards. A range of SD memory cards that incorporate WiFi networking to effortlessly transfer images between camera and computer without any cables.
- Rio Audio Rio Karma award winning digital audio player. Supports MP3, WMA, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis formats. Docking station includes Ethernet and USB.
- Sirius XM Satellite Radio Receivers. The various Sirius models are capable of receiving and playing from over 130 channels of music, sport and news. The channels are broadcast from satellites in geosynchronous orbit above North America and local radio repeaters in dense urban areas.
- Barco HD projectors. eCos is used in both DLP and LCD based models comprising the SIM, iD, iCon, and NH projector ranges. These are all 1080P 16:9 HD units, and most include an integrated networking capability.
- Parrot Bluetooth Photo Viewer, 7" and 3" digital photo frames with built-in Bluetooth networking for direct download from mobile phones.
- Parrot Sound System, BoomBox and other audio products. Wireless Hi-Fi speakers with built-in Bluetooth networking for playback from mp3 players, mobile phones and PCs.
- 3D Perception HMR-15 DLP projector for simulation applications. Multiple HMR-15's work in concert to provide fully immersive simulation environments. The projectors feature image subdivision, edge blending and image warping support for curved displays - enabling multiple units to be integrated together to provide a single large seamless display.
- Ceivia Digital Photo Receiver display frame. The Digital Photo Receiver downloads new sets of photos nightly, picking up the latest images from your family and friends.
- Targa MP3 H3100/H2100 hard disk based digital audio players, with USB, colour LCD and SD card expansion.
- NETGEAR MP101 wireless digital music player. Streams audio data over WiFi or Ethernet.
- Kaleidescape Kaleidescape System. high-end home cinema and music system. Servers are capable of storing uncompressed copies of DVDs and CDs (high capacity models store up to 1,340 DVDs or 15,000 CDs) and serving these around the home. Winner of multiple CES innovations awards, and Home Theatre Specialists of America "Best Custom Product of the Year, 2006".
Networking and Communications
- Media Systems Personal Securer, Home Securer and Car Securer, personal security devices. The devices incorporate triband GSM, GPRS modem and GPS positioning technology.
- TANDBERG Utility and Compass public video conferencing phones. Applications include information services, and communications in secure environments.
- NETGEAR WGR614 wireless router, and MR814 cable/dsl wireless router. Includes Wi-Fi, 4 port Ethernet switch, and SPI firewall.
- Cisco DPC/EPC2325 DOCSIS Residential Cable Gateway with built-in wireless access point and Ethernet switch.
- LEA NetPlug Pro power line networking bridge.
- Airlink101 AR315W wireless router.
- Red-M and Madge Networks, Red-Alert Pro and WLAN Probe WLAN intrusion detection devices.
- NETGEAR WGX102 54Mbps powerline Ethernet bridge. The WGX102 plugs into power sockets to easily extend an Ethernet LAN within a building.
- ASCOM Power Line Modem and Routers. Power line based broadband WAN networking.
- NETGEAR WGR101 cable and DSL wireless travel router.
- Exegin Q52 ZigBee-TCP/IP bridging device and Q51 ZigBee Protocol Analyser.
- NETGEAR WGE111 wireless game adapter Ethernet bridge.
- E3Switch DS3/E3 based Network Extender. Transparently supports Ethernet over DS3/E3/T3 telecommunications circuits.
- Falcom eCos based devices include the Mambo personal tracker; Fox, Bolero and STEPPIII vehicle location solutions; and Falcom F35-XXL-SI and XF55 communications modules. The modules incorporate GPS receivers and triband GPRS/GSM voice and data.
- CommtechWireless Fusion Series modular messaging system. eCos is used in both the Central Command Module and the Telephone Interface Module.
- Mikrom MVD600 H.264/AAC decoder. The MVD600 is a professional H.264/AAC decoder with digital interfaces targeting the Mobile TV market (ISDB-T, DVB-H).
- Riverstone Networks ES2010, carrier-grade ES edge access Ethernet router.
- NETGEAR GS108T, GS724TS and GS748TS PROSAFE® 8, 24 and 48 port Gigabit managed smart switches. Includes SFP fibre support, 20Gbps stacking bus to expand switch to 288 ports, web based management, SNMP, and many other features.
- Comtech EF Data Digicast range of Media Routers and IP encapsulators. Spanning satellite, cable, wireless and cellular networks, the Digicast products support video and IP-based content contribution and distribution.
- Siemens TC35 XP communications module. The module featuring Bluetooth, GPS, GSM, SMS and GPS technologies.
- Cisco SF200 & SG200-08 series Smart Switch range of 10/100/1000 Ethernet switches.
Industrial and Automotive
- Johnson Controls York HVAC range of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems.
- Fluke 289 and 287 True-RMS Multimeters. Fluke's "The Most Advanced Multimeters, Ever", data logging & graphing multimeters.
- Vipa Speed7 PLC. eCos-based industrial process control systems - "the fastest PLC in the world".
- Microplex Printware AG SOLID printer range. Industrial printers featuring high reliability and high throughput. The range includes thermal and laser based printers, and supports labels, continous feed, and cut paper stationary.
- Schindler Group Schindler 7000 range of high-rise elevators. eCos is used in the ColdFire based hoisting machinery motor control units.
- Volvo Personal Communicator (VPC) biometric access system integrated into the Safety Concept Car (SCC).
- Conenergy Sunreader. Internet connected monitoring of photovoltaic installations.
- Chauvin Arnoux BLUETOP 100. A Bluetooth based radio modem for RS485, RS232, Jbus and Modbus cable replacement.
- Printronix SL5000 SL4 RFID and T5000 T4 Thermal printer ranges. Industrial printers for identification, barcode, and RFID labels.
- Advanced Relay LayGO PXS industrial Protocol eXchange Servers.
- JCI Sabroe Unisab III. Advanced refrigeration systems controller. Local operator and internet based control, monitoring and diagnostics of industrial refrigeration system components.
- connectBlue Wireless Web Enabler range consisting of WIP900c, WIP800m, WIP125 and WIP425 Bluetooth access points. Remote control of connected devices via RS232, RS422, RS485, Modbus, Profibus, DevNet and Ethernet.
- Comtrol DeviceMaster RTS and DeviceMaster PRO ranges. DeviceMaster's are network connected programmable serial port servers that support RS2232, RS485 and RS422 based communication protocols.
- Formac TelGas. Gas process monitoring system supporting remote logging, event monitoring, messaging and alarms.
- Innosoft I-S MobileBox and RemoteBox. GPS/GSM/GPRS/Bluetooth based system for vehicle fleet control, location, logging and administration.
- Delphi Automative Mobile Productivity Center. Dashboard smartphone integration featuring voice recognition and speech output.
Office and Information Technology
- Cisco/TANDBERG range of high definition video conferencing equipment, including the Profile, Centric and Set Top series, as well as the Cisco E20 desktop videophone.
- Compellent Storage Center. An eCos-based storage Area Network (SAN) appliance. This highly scaleable system can support hundreds of terabytes of storage, using a range of industry standard interfaces including Fiber Channel, iSCSI, and SATA.
- Brother International HL-2400CeN and HL-3400CN. Award winning series of colour laser printers.
- Epson colour laser printers.
- Banksys counter-top Xenta and portable Xentissimo electronic banking point of sale terminals. eCos is used for communications and security processor.
- Printronix P7000 range of printers. Designed for high volume printing applications, the P7000 range offers high quality output, unsurpassed reliability and print speeds of up to 2000 lines per minute.
- Hitachi WirelessIP 5000. SIP based VOIP phone using WiFi networking.
- HumanWare MyReader. An auto-reader tool for the vision impaired. It can capture, magnify, enhance contrast and rearrange text on-screen.
- MagTek Excella and Excella STX check readers and scanners. The readers incorporate dual-sided image scanning, magnetic character recognition, endorsement printing.
- Microplex M307. Pocket Ethernet print server.
- 3UP Systems CMS-4U. Blade server chassis management and switches.
- LuckyHeart IPCAM600. Network based camera featuring MPEG4 video & audio, JPEG stills and motion detection capabilities.
Satellite and Space-Based Systems
- The Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer. A particle physics instrument flown to the International Space Station on final flight of the space shuttle Endeavour. The AMS is designed to detect high energy cosmic rays and use these as a probe for antimatter, dark matter and other unusual forms of matter. The $1.5 billion project involved 53 institutions in 16 different countries. eCos is used as the operating system for the AMS's four multiply-redundant Main Data Acquisition Computers.
- IKI-RAS (Space Research Institute-Russian Academy of Sciences) Chibis-M. A mission to study transient plasma-wave processes in the upper atmosphere and in particular transient luminous events such as sprites, jets and other phenomena. eCos is used for its on-board control systems.
- ESA SSETI Express. In addition to the on-board experiments, the satellite also servered as the launcher for three cubesats. eCos was used for the main on-board computer, imaging subsystem and in-orbit propulsion control system.
- Trimble NetR5. GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) receiver reference station.
- Trimble TM3000. GPS-based asset tracking system supported by eCosPro Starter and Developer's Kits. The TM3000 is designed to be adaptable to a broad range of vehicle monitoring, management and recovery applications. It integrates a GSM/GPRS modem, GPS receiver, and a range of peripherals.
- Thrane & Thrane Sailor mini-C shipboard security, navigational and Inmarsat based communication system. Features include distress alert and messaging, email, fax, GPS position polled reporting and recording.
- Aalborg University AAUSAT-II cubesat. On-board experiments include attitude determination and control system, and gamma ray burst detector.
- Moscow State Technical University Baumanetz cubesat. Payload includes earth imaging, orbital parameter determination and millimeter band attenuation experiments.
- University of Mitchigan Field Emission Get-Away-Special Investigation (FEGI) Space Shuttle small payload mission. FEGI investigated Field Emitter Array (FEA) technology, with potential applications in spacecraft charge stabilization and electrodynamic tether propulsion.
- University of Toronto Canadian Advanced Nanospace eXperiment - CanX-2. On-board experiments included GPS radio occultation, atmospheric spectrometry and imaging, along with a number of other experiments and engineering test systems.
- Technical University of Denmark DTUSat-1 cubesat. The science payload consisted of an imaging system and electrodynamic tether.
- Raytheon Patriot Missile tactical air defence and anti-ballistic missile system. eCos is used in the PowerPC based Patriot Fiber Optic Modem (PFOM), providing secure and robust communications between the Engagement Control System (ECS) and Launcher.
- Vixen Sphinx SXC, SXW and SXD, and Skypod astronomical telescope mounts. The StarBook controller provides a built-in star chart for intuitive goto control of the telescope, a searchable library of 22,725 celestial objects, autoguider port for astrophotography and an Ethernet interface for full remote control capability.
- WowWee Rovio. The company that brought us the Robosapien has now produced the Rovio robot sentry. Rovio can patrol autonomously, or be remotely controlled over the internet. It sports WiFi, indoor-GPS, streaming video and two-way audio.
- Fermilab Tevtron and International Linear Accelerator. eCos is used in PC/104 based hard realtime Micro Quench Protection Systems (uQPM) to monitor and protect the Tevatron's superconducting magnets, and in the superconducting module test facility (SMTF) modulator controller for the upcoming ILC.
- Sinar Sinarback eMotion professional medium format digital camera backs. Capable of up to 33 megapixels at 48bit colour, the backs are targetted at discerning professional photographers who demand the highest resolution and colour fidelity.
- Los Alamos National Labs, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and Russian Federal Nuclear Center, Plutonium Attribute Verification System (AVNG). Developed under a trilateral initiative between the US and Russian governments, and the International Atomic Energy Agency, the system forms part of the verification program for nuclear arms reduction treaties. It is designed to test for weapons grade plutonium and implements strict "information barriers" consisting of hardware, software and procedural protective systems in a layered structure to provide defence-in-depth protection of classified information.
- Charmed Labs Xport 2.0. A mobile robotics development system based on Game Boy Advance, with expansion FPGA and RAM/Flash.
- Visible Energy Energy UFO. Home appliance energy usage monitoring, control and scheduling via web or smartphone over Ethernet or Powerline network connection.
- Terrascience Systems Inc Terrascience Microseismic Acquisition (TMA) Unit remote microseismic monitoring system.
- ACQ PowerNECS. PowerPC based Network Extended Control System (NECS). A modular ruggedized CAN based instrumentation system for the avionics market.
- Ronetix PEEDI. A networked JTAG-based hardware debugger.
- Saab StarFrec Flight Recorder. Synchronized timebase recording of MOST and CAN bus data.
- MacAfee/Imation Encrypted USB Phantom and Stealth MXP families. USB based portable security devices with authentication and cryptographic services. They provide secure storage and digital identity services with authentication via password and built-in fingerprint reader.
- Ikendi Fingerprint and Retina identification systems.
- Linksys NAS200. Network Attached Storage device. The NAS200 supports two SATA 3.5inch drive bays, and features a built in media server for streaming video to PCs or UPnP media devices.
- A wide range of Axis products use RedBoot firmware. These include their complete range of 2xx series network cameras, 250 series MPEG servers, 240 and 2400 series video server blades, and 9010 Bluetooth access point.
- Orange Livebox. Home wireless ADSL router.
- I-O DATA HDL-GWxxx and HDL-GZxxx Giga LANDISK series. World's First "Intel® Inside" NAS Product.
- Thecus N4100 and N2100 series NAS. Home media servers and network attached storage devices.
- Linksys NSLU2. Network Attached Storage adapter for USB hard drives.
- Charmed Labs and Carnegie Mellon University Qwerk Robot Controller. The system platform for CMU Robotics Institute's Telepresence Robot TeRK project.
- Patton SmartNode 4XXX series. VoIP gateways - the SmartNode 4630 was awarded Internet Telephony Product of the Year award, 2005.
- Yamaha RX V2700, RX N600, DSP-N600, HTR-N5060, and DSP-AX2700 7.1 Surround Network Home Theater Receivers. The Receivers provide full network connectivity with the ability to play back content from PCs, home media servers, and internet radio. They also support XM Satellite Radio with XM HD Surround, and iPod compatibility.
- Watchguard Firebox X Edge e-Series. Internet security device with advanced firewalling capabilities.
- Meraki Mini and Mini Outdoor mesh repeaters. Low cost mesh networking infrastructure products.
- Zyxel G570U. Wireless access device can function as access point, bridge, repeater, or client.
- NETGEAR - a variety of wireless access points and routers including the WGR826v, Prosafe WAG302, WG602, and Prosafe WG302.
- A variety of semiconductor companies and board manufacturers have standardized on RedBoot as their bootloader. These include:
- Intel, IXP42X and previous XScale based development boards.
- Freescale, i.MX based development boards.
- NXP, Nexperia STB200 and STB220 reference designs.
- STMicroelectronics, ST40RA SH4 based development boards.
All company, brand or product names mentioned herein are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.